Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Return of the Writer's Block

I knew it wouldn't leave me forever. Unfortunately for me, this means I can't think of anything to tell you about (coherently, at least). Unfortunately for you, you have to put up with it. But really, I won't be offended if you choose not to read anymore of this, because it will be rather random.

I went to church today at 9am to help set up for a Confirmation retreat that I would be helping out with until 5. I didn't know what to expect, but lately I have really enjoyed church and decided that volunteering would do me some good. After all of the team leaders met and got a brief rundown of the day, we headed over from the hall we were set up in to the actual church. And oh my God, there were so many people there for Palm Sunday (the week before Easter). I couldn't believe my eyes- there wasn't even enough room for everybody to sit down. Very cool.

The retreat? Well, it was what I expected in that the kids (mostly about freshman age) weren't that enthused. And I have to admit, I was the same way when I was getting confirmed. But sitting there, learning the lessons again, made me appreciate it so much more. I even got to give a brief, random, totally unprepared talk about faith in my life. It was pretty bad, but it was honest- I hope the candidates took at least something positive from it.

Why do some people so readily try to disprove religion? Is it such a horrible thing to believe in something? In someone? Why is it always "there's no proof God exists" and not, "there's no proof God doesn't exist"? I understand that there is the want for things to be 'scientifically proven,' but it must also be understood that for some, such proof is not necessary. And there is nothing wrong with either route of thought. For Pete's sake, yes, challenge each others' ideas; it is a good way to strengthen your own. But at the end of the day, accept that people will think what they want to. And that is okay.

No comments: