Friday, December 19, 2008

Theme.....?

Unfortunately, I'm supposed to have one.


So, what is my theme that you readers should look foreword to? I suppose it, in the broadest sense, my blog is about me. My thoughts. My likes. My experiences.

Why? I don't feel like I know enough about other subjects to do a full blog about them (politics, news, the newest tractors, etc). I suppose I could try to teach new math concepts with each post, but I have the feeling that would create keep-your-distancers instead of followers.

But I want to keep my thoughts from becoming brain vomit. I try to keep them connected to actual objects- not merely a jumble of diary entries. I've never read someones diary- I don't even have one. But I know I want to roll my eyes when all people do is complain (as, for example, I am doing right now), making long sappy writings about how:
  • Someone has done them wrong
  • Something has done them wrong
  • The world is against them
  • Life is hopeless
  • They are angry and have to write some poetry to express themselves (dear, God, if you are going to do one of these things, do not write poetry. Unless you are some reincarnation of Emily Dickinson, I don't want to hear it. I like to think I can write poetry, but I'm not stupid enough to post it online for everybody to see because it's a load of crap. Chances are, yours is, too.

While I'm on an illegal-by-my-terms rant, I'll keep going. Don't write about how you have such deep, real emotions. I understand that you feel strongly about things. I do, too. But writing about a person that has, for example, broken your heart, is going to sound stupid on paper. It will sound cliche. It will sound 100% pathetic and make you look like a moron. My free advise? Keep it in a diary. Or in your head. Just off of the internet, please.

But the above paragraph is not enough to say what is bad and good. Like all writing, there are exceptions. I suppose the center of the annoyance I get from said writers is that they only write for themselves, assuming that:

  1. No one else has ever had the same feelings/experiences.
  2. Everyone will care and be sympathetic towards them.
For those that believe this, I hate to break it to you, but neither are true.

How to avoid being annoying when complaining or stating an opinion? First, feel free not to be completely serious- believe it or not, people like a sense of humor (of course, you can't tell a joke when talking about abortion- in this case it is appropriate if you have facts to back your side up and if your argument is clear). And secondly, sometimes it helps to include your audience in your discoveries (like, 'don't you hate it when...?' instead of 'I hate it when.....')- they have probably felt the same way at one point.

It appears, however, in explaining my theme, I have broken all of my rules in this post.

I have ranted.

I have not been funny enough to prevent myself from sounding like a drama queen.

And I didn't include you, my lovely readers (if there are any out there). I'm sure you know what I was talking about above- how rude of me not to mention you! But because I'm not entirely sure if you do feel that way, I suppose I'll simply include you in the charges against this post.

And this post is too long- that's a new rule. Who wants to read a novel, really?

So, to make up for my shameful behavior, I will make you a promise. I promise you that I will never post another rant like this again. My complaints will be connected to a larger, less pathetic topic. I will share my thoughts, experiences, and likes/dislikes. But they will be in a mature, acceptable blog format.

Agreed?

Good. Now that we've had such a serious little chat, let's close on a lighter note. "For the Birds."





1 comment:

Mr. Ayers said...

You have indeed ranted. But it WAS funny.