Saturday, November 8, 2008

Homeless Night cont.


I had an awesome time at Homeless Night. One of my friends had a few boxes she had offered to let us use. We picked them up from her house, but one of the boxes would not fit in the car. Not wanting to leave it behind, we searched for, and found, a solution: bungee-cording it to the top of the car. The drive was a little interesting- the box flapped back and forth the entire way(probably scaring the drivers behind us), but the cardboard made it safe and sound to school.


Once there, we set up shop underneath the overhang. The night consisted of playing Apples to Apples, eating Goldfish and Starbursts, and adding more and more layers as the night progressed. I had thought about staying up the entire night, but decided against it, because staying awake made me consciously aware of how cold I was getting. I suppose I should thank my mom for pestering me into wearing so many layers (and bringing two sleeping bags), because I would have been freezing without them. One friend brought hand warmers, and they kept me comfortable in the rainy, windy night.


I was woken up a few times during the night by friends wanting to play a game or talk a bit. But for the most part I slept soundly- or so I thought. In the morning I went home and planned on working on my mountain of homework. I sat down to get started and four hours later I awoke to the phone ringing. Why had I slept so long? Perhaps being homeless, you are unable to sleep as deeply as you would like (due to the weather and overall lack of security). I cannot imagine going through every day worrying where you will sleep, how the weather will be. It was a good time and got publicity, but, more importantly, it put the concept of being without a home into context.

2 comments:

El Cabrito said...

one of my friends...
one of my friends?!?!
lets give a little credit here missy!

oliver jorge said...

she cannot give you credit for feaer of the scary people finding out who you are!!!